Computer will not access the Internet.

diode 22:33 20 Sep 04

Am running XP (Home edition) with Internet Explorer 6(IE 6)on my laptop. A few weks ago I had a virus that the virus checker could not remove. I used the internet to find out how to remove it, it did tell me to rmove a .dll file, I am afraid I can't remember which one. It did remove the virus, but in the process I appear to have lost the ability to access the internet. I have tried reinstalling XP with no luck. I have a feeling that it must be a problem with IE 6. when I was using W98se there was an option to repair IE with the uninstall facility, but I don't seem to be able to find such an option with XP. Nothing appears to be able to access the internet. Would be grateful for any ideas

VoG II 22:40 20 Sep 04

1) repair click here

2) winsockfix click here

ray197222 22:41 20 Sep 04

reinstall ie 6

ray197222 22:43 20 Sep 04

or better still install mozilla

ray197222 22:44 20 Sep 04

or better still install mozilla

diode 22:44 20 Sep 04

diode 22:47 20 Sep 04

Can this be dwon loaded from the internet, and would I need to uninstall my ocrrupted version of IE6

VoG II 22:50 20 Sep 04

click here and get Firefox, not Mozilla.

All will co-exist quite happily.

diode 12:46 21 Sep 04

sorry for the delay in replying, its just that the computer I am using to get onto the internet seemed to have a suspect network card, I have just bought a new one and installed it hopefully that has cured that problem.
Back to the original problem. I tried doing the fixes VoG™ kindly suggested, however as it is home edition it kept calling for a XP (pro) Cd rather than XP(H Ed.).So I tried putting my XP pro CD for this computer in but it didn't like that either.
Then tried ray197222 suggestion of reinstalling IE6 which I did, however it did go through an install but it seemed somewhat shorter than I remember in the original installation.
Just a bit of further information.
1)The network card works fine, I can access all my network okay.
2)The computer connects directly to a modem router, as do all my other computers, which all access the internet okay
3)Nothing will access the internet, Not AOL (which I don't use, I just use their broadband connection) Not MSN. Anything that tries just says "unable to make a connection"
I am going to try and download a copy of Firefox to this computer and transfer it to my laptop.
Regards to all

JonnyTub 12:48 21 Sep 04

have you tried removing this pc from the network and tried a direct connection?

diode 13:12 21 Sep 04

Tried this as well, downloads okay, but when I launch it the main screen appears, however it just remains blank, tried doing google search but just no response. So it doesn't look as if it is a browser problem, and other ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…