computer viruses

technician 18:49 02 Jan 03
  technician 18:49 02 Jan 03

Hi, while on the internet a popup appeared and said my computer has a virus and that they can fix it. The firm are eAnthology in America. Has anybody heard of them, are they any good or is it just a scam?.

VoG™ 18:54 02 Jan 03
  Peter E 21:52 02 Jan 03

You can pick the brains and experience of people like VoG™.

There are a lot of scams out there so don't be fooled.

The other day I was on a perfectly respectable site to send a greeting card to someone. Whilst I was waiting for it to load, a little box popped up (as though part of the site) and asked did I want my computer clock checking and updating with correct time. I clicked Yes and the next thing I know GATOR is trying to download on my machine. I managed to stop it but Gator is another little beggar that's got to be watched out for.

As they said in the TV series "be careful out there".

Regards

mikef™ 21:57 02 Jan 03

Unfortunatly this is one of several companies that try scare tactics to get you to buy their software, most if not all are scams.

fosters 12:28 04 Jan 03

Does anyone know about this virus I am running AVG which has the latest update 31/12/02.
I have also run trend housecall which says I am clear .
I am of low to medium experience on computers so nothing to technical in the replies please.

spuds 12:48 04 Jan 03

Run a Google search, I am sure something of interest will come up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…