Computer as a video recorder?

Martyn 06:25 14 Feb 04

I have a DVD writer and a TV card in my computer.
I can use the TV card to record television programmes and they are recorded in MPEG2 format.
I can burn these to DVD. However if the programme is longer than ~ 30 minutes, my DVD player (connected to the TV) will not play all of it and it seems to stop after ~ 1 gigabyte.There is no way to view the rest of the programme.
I have the software to convert them to DVD format which works but can take > 5 hours to carry out.
There are now several home dvd recorders on the market which are used as video recorders and do direct TV recording in DVD format. Is there any software available to do this on the computer?

y_not 07:56 14 Feb 04

What O/S are you using? If the file format is FAT32 there are limits to the maximum file size - with NTFS (Win2k or XP) there is (as far as I am aware) no limit to the file size.

Martyn 08:00 14 Feb 04

I am using XP home formatted as NTFS. It is the written DVD that will only play 1GB on the DVD player connected to the TV.

y_not 09:26 14 Feb 04

Sorry Martyn, think I mis-understood the question.

I don't have any other suggestions - this posting will at least raise the thread back to the top.

Have you looked at dvdrhelp.com? They may have an answer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…