Computer for Video Editing

AlanHo 08:45 05 Feb 08

I have recently built a computer for the first time - which I am delighted with.
Antec P182 case
Antec 650 W PSU
Intel Q6600 processor
Zalman CNPS 9500 cooler
2 GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM
ASUS P5KC motherboard
ASUS 8600 GT Graphics
On board Audio
Twin hard drives
etc

A friend who does a lot of video has just bought a digital video camera. He has a 4 year old computer which he has been told is not really suitable for video editing and has decided to buy a new one. He has asked me to build him an identical computer for his use using Adobe Premier Elements software. He will not be using the computer for gaming - just normal office, web browsing, Email, photo and video editing work.

Before doing so - and I know little about video editing - I would appreciate advice on the specification to go for. I assume the Intel CPU will be OK but is the motherboard and graphics right for the job. I note that a lot of people on this forum go for 8800GT graphics but wonder whether this is for games use - rather than video editing. I also wonder whether it is possible to future proof the spec in some way to allow high definition editing at a later date by the addition of a blue ray DVD when they are more affordable.

Your comments would be appreciated.

€dstowe 09:06 05 Feb 08

Plenty of hard drive space!!

Should be fine.

eedcam 09:10 05 Feb 08

Here Is Adobes recommendations and the one by the guys on theelemnts forum which suggest he looks at and goes through the FAQ's
click here

Topic
What are the system requirements for version 3?

grisetti steve - 06:23am Sep 21, 2006 Pacific

Here are Adobe's suggested minimums:

• Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4, M, D or Extreme Edition or AMD Opteron OR Athlon 64 (SSE2 Support Required)
• Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, Home Edition, or Media Center Edition with Service Pack 2
• Screen Resolution: 1024X768 16bit (XGA)
• RAM: 512 MB for DV and 1 GB for HDV
• Hard Disk (Apps & Content): 4 GB of available hard-disk space for installation
• Multimedia Technology: Microsoft DirectX 9 compatible sound and display drivers
• Interface/Peripherals: DV/i.LINK/FireWire/IEEE 1394 interface to connect a Digital 8 or DV camcorder or USB2 interface with a compatible DV via USB DV camcorder. Other video devices supported via Media Downloader

Our early experience is that (with the exception of HDV editing) version 3 will work on virtually any system that runs version 2 -- and, in fact, may even work more efficiently. That said, we're posting similar "real world" recommendations for version 3, although these may be updated as we get reports from the field.

Our recommended minimums
• Pentium 4 or Celeron 2.6 ghz or Athlon64 3200 or Opteron processor
• 1 gigabyte of RAM
• 64 mb video card, ideally Radeon or Geforce technology
• 100 gigabyte hard drive (This allows plenty of room for captured footage and scratch disk space)
• An ASIO (Audio Stream Input/Output) supported sound card
• DVD burner (DVD-R, DVD+R or DVD+/-R – standalone player compatibility is now virtually the same for all formats)
• 17” monitor set to 1024x768 display
• IEEE-1394/FireWire/iLink, cable and MiniDV or Digital8 camcorder or digitizing device (e.g., the ADS Pyro AV Link) capable of capturing DV-AVI files

Even better
• Pentium D 3.0 ghz or Athlon64 Dual Core 4200
• 2 gigabytes of RAM
• 128 mb video card, ideally Radeon or Geforce technology
• Second hard drive, dedicated to video files, 160 gigabytes are larger
• DVD burner (Dual-layer models can burn 4.7 or 8.5 gig disks)
• 1152x864 19” monitor running 32-bit color
• IEEE-1394/FireWire/iLink, cable and MiniDV or Digital8 camcorder or digitizing device (e.g., the ADS Pyro AV Link) capable of capturing DV-AVI files

AlanHo 10:19 08 Feb 08

Thanks for the feedback guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…