Computer is very slow on startup

cianw1 20:56 26 Mar 15

I have a high end PC(will post specs below) and although when i restart the restart itself isnt too bad, once my computer is running its really slow and takes a good 5min or so until I can actually do stuff like launch a program, does anyone have any tips on how i can improve this?

Computer specs: i7 960 @ 3.2Ghz, 12GB RAM, Windows7 64-bit, Nvidia GeForce 780

JenRock 22:18 26 Mar 15

In my experience, firstly do a scan for possible virus. If that doesn't fix it,re start your computer, hit F11 on boot and try a system restore - to an earlier date, if that doesn't do it, then back up your files and re install to factory settings... also found by tapping F11.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:46 26 Mar 15

a) Clear out all temporary files and folders -- use CCleaner

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :- Malwarebytes Superantispyware Free Antivirus software Avast

c) Clean the registry -- Use the tool in CCleaner its very safe and also allows you to back up the registry first.

d) Cut down on the programs that load at start up -- CCleaner tools - startup - disable everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. [see blackviper.com][6]

1]: [click here 2]: [click here 3]: [click here 5]: [click here 6]: [click here

thumbscrew 21:24 27 Mar 15

Click "Start" then type %temp% in the "Search Programs and Files" box. "Temp"appears, click on it and you'll see a list of temporary files. Back up and delete.

rdave13 23:18 27 Mar 15

Also once up and running use task manager to see what's using CPU and Ram and possibly Hard drive usage . I don't think that disabling programs that load on start up is an answer but a reaction to a symptom. Those programs were loading up before you had a slow computer I should think.

Secret-Squirrel 10:16 28 Mar 15

.............................and also it's highly unlikely that CCleaner or manuall deleting temporary files will make a PC run any faster. Only if the system drive is dangerously low on disk space will those things make any difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant