computer to TV via wifi?

hughsturrock 13:37 PM 08 Jun 11

I often want to view my computer screen on the TV, for watching films, connecting to the internet etc. At the moment, I plug my laptop (PC - windows XP) into my TV using a VGA cable and use speakers for the sound. I would really like to have exactly the same functionality, but connect the laptop and TV wirelessly. If this could be done through the wifi that would be brilliant (i.e. I don't want to have to keep unplugging and plugging in new USB devices).

Does anyone know of any device that can do what I want?? Things like apple TV seem a bit rubbish in that you can only access certain websites and certain files. I just want to be able to have my laptop in one room and see (and hear) everything through the TV. I've got an app for the iphone which allows me to use the mouse and keyboard via wifi, so could control everything from the sofa..

Thanks a lot!!Hugh

chub_tor 15:04 PM 08 Jun 11
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 PM 08 Jun 11

Read here

kit here

hughsturrock 15:14 PM 08 Jun 11

Thanks for your replies. Yeah I've seen that device, but it doesn't work through walls apparently. Plus, you have to plug in an additional usb device into your computer. Isn't it possible to stream stuff from your computer over wifi without having to plug anything into the computer?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:37 PM 08 Jun 11
  hughsturrock 17:10 PM 08 Jun 11

Thanks, but this isn't really what I'm looking for. All these devices seem to limit which websites you can visit and which files you can play. All I want to do is to be able to see my computer screen on the TV wirelessly (through walls)....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The 14 most useless gadgets of all time: nauseating, crappy and downright silly technology, from a…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November