computer turns off when playing warcraft

alythman 11:15 21 Aug 06

I wonder if someone could help me with my problem. I have an AMD Athlon 64 CPU and Winfast motherboard. I have an ATI 256Mb Radeon 9550 series graphics card and connect to a home network system through a Belkin wired router. I have no problems with any software or games, but when I connect to Warcraft III my computer shuts down completely. I have installed new grpahics drivers, and the latest DirectX and I have also had the motherboard, memory and CPU checked out as being completely fine. I wonderd if there may be a problem wih the graphics card, but this only happens whenever I play Warcraft III. My internet connection is fine also, apart from this, I have no problems.I checked with the Warcraft web site support area, and the ATI card is among those listed as being compatible. Can someone please help me find a solution to this problem? Thank you for your time!

aca 12:30 21 Aug 06

1st thing to do is to try to get stop message rather than pc shutting down. Go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Settings, Start Up and Recovery then uncheck box Automatic Restart.

Post details on blue screen.

alythman 13:27 21 Aug 06

Hi aca, I tried that, but the shutdown by-passes it completely. I've used that method in the past to find out sources, but it doesn't want to know this time.

alythman 12:46 22 Aug 06

I have now changed the PSU thinking it may be the cause, but it has made no diference at all. I am assuming that the shutdown is being caused by a faulty graphics card, but I would appreciate any input from anyone abut this! Thanks in advance!

brundle 12:49 22 Aug 06

is your graphics card getting too hot?
run some stress tests/benchmarks
3dmark click here
sisoft sandra click here

alythman 13:17 22 Aug 06

Hi Brundle, I ran scisoft sandra and performance test on the graphics, but came up with nothing. I thought that the graphcs card may be getting too hot as the Warcraft game is heavy on the graphics, with ocassional graphic dropout occuring. I have two case fans in the tower, both near the card, but the card itself has only a small fan on it. Do you think It may be that the card has a problem, and should maybe be replaced? It is still in warranty at the moment, but only for another month or so.

skell 16:37 22 Aug 06

<<<I checked with the Warcraft web site support area, and the ATI card is among those listed as being compatible. Can someone please help me find a solution to this problem? Thank you for your time!>>>

Contrary to what the above says there are issues with ATI cards and WOW. check out the release notes for the current driver you have installed. you could also back date your driver but first i would read and info you can find regarding ATI setup... look here...click here

alythman 16:45 22 Aug 06

Thanks Skell, I'll look into the info you gave me. I originally had bother with the original drivers for the card, that's why I downloaded the update. But I'll further into it. Thanks for your help!

citadel 17:50 22 Aug 06

there have been patches for this game.

alythman 11:04 07 Sep 06

It urns out that the graphics card was at fault. I put the card in to be tested and it shut down the test computer and was reported to have a number of cicuitry faults. The card was replaced and there are now no problems at all. Thanks for everyone's help in trying to help me sort this out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…