Computer Turning Off

HelpDave 14:06 29 Nov 14

Hi Guys, I'm having an issue with my desktop and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help.

I've had my desktop for nearly 4 years now. It's a high-end machine built for graphic design and computer gaming. Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor RAM:16.0GB OS: 64-bit Windows 7 Graphics: GeForce GTX560

The Tower has multiple fans and a liquid-cooled processor.

The issue I'm having has been occurring over the past week or two, getting particularly bad today and yesterday. Previously, I assumed accidents and freak occurrences. My computer has got in to a habit of turning its self off, and then not wanting to turn back on before leaving it for a prolonged period of time. It's switched its self off doing all sorts of things - playing games, watching videos and browsing the internet. I'm struggling to diagnose what's wrong it. When it powered off yesterday, it powered off immediately every time I switched it on, before even getting to the boot process. I waited a while, turned it back on and activated my processor overclock button - it didn't power off after that, I stayed on it for about 2 hours.

Today, I was on my machine for roughly two hours and it powered off again, the same issue occurred. This time, when I switched it on, the boot process was interrupted and I was taken to the boot setup. I switched everything back to default values and re-started the machine. I managed to activate my processor overclock and get this far on the forum. I've not yet managed to test if re-setting the boot values has fixed it, or if overclocking seems to be a temporary fix.

I don't believe my machine is over heating, it isn't making a great deal of noise and doesn't physically feel hot. I haven't installed/uninstalled any software recently and haven't replaced in parts in the machine since I bought it. Any help would be appreciated,

-Dave.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:13 29 Nov 14

Either overheating or PSU dying

Overheating, machine can appear clean and not physically hot but a layer of fluff betwwen the heatsink and fan can cause the problem and if water cooled may be airlocked and no coolant flow.

Owlington123 14:13 29 Nov 14

I'd go ahead and reinstall windows and start over, i had similar problems and it ended up leading to BSOD because of Windows Corruption.

HelpDave 14:28 29 Nov 14

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

If it is my processor kicking out, what's the best thing I can do for it right now? Would replacing the heat gel do any good and is that a difficult task?

I'll have a look for my windows disk as well.

Anybody else's two-cents would be much appreciated

-Dave.

Owlington123 14:41 29 Nov 14

I personally use Artic Silver Thermal Compound, very good :3

bumpkin 15:41 29 Nov 14

Check the temperatures first before doing anything else you will then be able to establish if that is the issue.

bumpkin 15:53 29 Nov 14
  spuds 16:13 29 Nov 14

Here are a few ideas that might be worth looking at click here

HelpDave 13:43 30 Nov 14

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback, I'm downloading SpeedFan now. After return to the default boot options, my machine was running 4 of its 8 cores yesterday without an issue, it didn't power off once. I've bought some of the Silver Thermal Compound and heat paste remover as well, so I'll keep it on 4 cores whenever I have to until that arrives.

On Four Cores, my CPU is running at roughly between 55 and 65 degrees. There's a fire symbol next to this reading as well.

HelpDave 13:55 30 Nov 14

Sorry for the double post. After activating the 8 cores, my CPU is going up to 75 degrees within 5 minutes of powering on.

HelpDave 09:20 04 Dec 14

Hi guys, I'd just like to update my situation with my machine.

In the past few days, whenever I have needed to use my PC, I've been dropping the processor down to 4 active cores and using the overclock button on the minimum setting.

As of yesterday, the Arctic silver 5 arrived and I applied that with no problems. I also gave my GPU a clean while I was at it.

My computer doesn't seem to have gotten any better. I left my computer on over night to back up my HDD. I switched off some time in the night. After turning on this morning, it wouldn't stay on longer than 30 minutes, and then it would hardly switch on at all. It wouldn't get to the boot process.

If anyone can provide any more advice or diagnosis, that would be appreciated. Part of me is thinking about ordering a new processor, but I don't want to commit to that without knowing exactly what the issue is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant