Computer Technology for Dummies.

frybluff 13:20 PM 05 Feb 12

Having grown up in an age when, if you wanted to use a computer, you wrote a program and queued for a terminal, I find I'm hopelessly out of date, in terms of modern computing "nuts and bolts". Can anyone suggest a book or website I could use, to get myself "a bit up to speed" in reasonably basic terms. I have been researching a new laptop, but find myself forever running to Wikipaedia, to explain the teminology. I would be a lot happier actually learning the terminology. One can get a definition of terms like, for instance "overclocking",or "BIOS", but actually understanding ....?

Forum Editor 14:01 PM 05 Feb 12

You might find some interesting information in our laptop advice section:-

Here it is

rdave13 15:11 PM 05 Feb 12

This seems quite a good site for help, http://www.helpwithpcs.com/jargon/jargonmenu.htm

woodchip 10:08 AM 08 Feb 12

With a Moden Computer its not much different to what you have just done. You typed a post and started this thread. You do not need to know about the innards unless you are wanting to build your own PC etc

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…