Computer switches off at startup

Alan H 11:35 16 Mar 03

Switch on at wall switch on computer. It begins to load up. First black screen loads all devices OK but second black screen comes on and computer switches off! Have now cleaned inside case (Quite clean) and checked all connections. Any suggestions as to what to try? This only started 2 days ago. The computer does sometimes come on but seems to be working slowly when it does.

MichelleC 14:11 16 Mar 03

Have you added any hardware 2 days ago?

cream. 14:16 16 Mar 03

With it switching off so soon, the first thing that might be worth checking is the cpu fan.

With the case off, ask some one to turn the machine on. Have a close look at the fan, is it spinning from startup?

alan2k1 14:22 16 Mar 03

i am not saying that this is ur problem .... i did however have exactly the same thing happen to me ........turned out be the hard drive failing
hope its not but check and save any data before its lost

powerless 14:29 16 Mar 03

What is your operating system?

Alan H 00:16 17 Mar 03

Nothing new installede
Windows 98 SE
Fan working fine

Newuser66 10:59 17 Mar 03

Check Power Supply Unit, try it out by disconnecting power supply to cd/dvd drives see if the pc starts up, if it does you need a psu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…