computer switches off by itself

heanoid 20:05 17 Sep 08

hello just joined today, my computer driving me nuts, i can switch it on normally and then it will just go off (as if the plugs been pulled) then it will go into start up ( bios sceen then blue password sceen ) it will then do this maybe once or twice or maybe a dozen times. other times it will be left on overnight and in the morning its off, other times it will be fine for a day or so any help much appreciated

ambra4 20:29 17 Sep 08

It could be an overheating problem, open the case and check that all the fans are working

Also check that the power supply fan is spinning, as a bad fan will cause the unit to over heat and

shut down and start up again when it cool down

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:24 17 Sep 08

Could be a number of things, overheat the most common.

See if you get an error message -
Auto-reboot disable:
When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, often it will restart too fast for you to see the error message.
To disable auto restart on system failure, so you can see the error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

sputnick 15:11 18 Sep 08

When I had this problem I found that the cpu cooling fins were blocked with dust.and I mean BLOCKED.

Bryan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…