Computer switches off

Khalid Saumtally 22:14 01 Nov 03

GIGABYTE GA-7VA motherboard,Amd socket A 2.4 Ghz,DDR PC2700 Ram, Windows XP Pro. My pc will switch off every 10-15 mins. I have changed the case this time with 350 watts, graphic card and hard drive. It still does it. I suspect the motherboard but then again it could be the processor. Any help will be appreciated.

Khalid

gudgulf 22:35 01 Nov 03

Have you checked that the CPU fan is working?
Alternatively have you checked for any virus infections with an up-to-date anti-virus scanner recently?

Khalid Saumtally 22:54 01 Nov 03

Thanks for your prompt reply. The CPU fan is working and I have slaved the drive on another PC checked it with an upto date Norton 2003 antivirus.

gudgulf 23:21 01 Nov 03

Have you tried removing and reseating all of the memory/pci cards?They can work loose and cause all manner of problems.

Is it possible that the power supply is faulty.
On my own home built pc I suffered from months of random crashes and errors leading to repeated windows reinstalations and much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth due to a bad power supply.

graham√ 23:29 01 Nov 03

OK, lets rule out the simple things first. Check in Control Panel, Power Options. Is this set to turn off after a time?

DieSse 00:00 02 Nov 03

Do you mean literally swtch off - ie dead- unpowered?

Or do you mean reboots?

Khalid Saumtally 23:10 02 Nov 03

Thank you both for your feedback. I did suspect the power supply at first, then I bought a new case (350 Watts)but the problem persists. I am using the old case for another system which is fine. I then suspected my Radeon 9000 Pro, so I tried another graphic card, still no change. I have got a PCI scsi and a PCI network card on the system. I will remove them individually and see what happen. As it stands I can't get to windows. During booting up the system will shut down (swich off). I went to the Bios and change 1st boot to CD Rom, I get a blue screen with a blinking cursor for about 5-10 minutes then it will switch off completely.

Khalid Saumtally 23:30 15 Nov 03

I have now changed my motherboard to Asus A7V8X-X and would you beleive it the system still switch off during boot up. Sometime it will go as far as loading windows and then it will switch off. I just don't know what to do next. Please help.

Khalid Saumtally 22:00 19 Nov 03

I am back to normal. It was a faulty Ram that gave me all the troubles.

Forum Editor 06:57 20 Nov 03

for the disgraceful personal comments posted to this thread by another forum user. They've been removed now, as has the person concerned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…