//some 3rd party need geo

Computer stuck on Verify DMI Data Pool

I brought a Colossus computer from Time 10 days ago.

It was mostly working okay, but I kept suffering from Black Screens when people logged off, rather than the PC going back to the Welcome Menu.

I decided to use the recovery PC to put the computer back to its "out of the box" condition. The instructions say that this is quick, safe and very simple.

I booted up from CD, and let the recovery run through. This worked perfectly, and the system asked me to remove the CD and reboot. I did this but now it just sits on Verifying DMI Data Pool.

I have tried booting up from an old Windows Floppy disk and typing in "sys c:" then "fdisk /mbr" but this just causes the system to go to the c:> then stop.

I have now run the reload procedure again to get the PC back to how it was when I started the first reload. What should I do next?

Before I started the reload, the BIOS was set to boot in this order "Floppy, HDD-0, CDROM".

I had to change it to use the CDROM first in order to run the reload. I have tried booting it up with the CDROM first and the order mentioned above. Neither work.

The system is running XP Home by the way.

VoG II 19:02 17 Jan 04

Get Time to fix it. It is not fit for purpose.

That will take a while, so I would like to exhaust all possibilities on here first.

woodchip 19:03 17 Jan 04

I think I've exhausted most of the option on there.

After i booted up from an old Windows CD Floppy, the system showed the Windows 98 start screen before going to the C:> prompt.

I have found a set of Windows XP boot disks. If I boot up from these and run a "sys c:" will this work?

AndyJ 19:10 17 Jan 04

I agree with VoG; be careful you don't inadvertantly invalidate your warranty or give them an excuse by "tinkering"

woodchip 19:15 17 Jan 04

click here

click here
Allow time for it to load

click here

click here

Try them for the moment

I think it's time to agree with you.

I don't want to go messing around in the BIOS, giving Time reason not to replace the system.

I paid £99 for Collect and Return so that is what they can do. I'll have to wait until Monday though as none of their numbers appear to work over the weekend (not even the £1 / min ones).

When I brought the PC I didn't realise that it was anything to do with Time. It was sold as a Colossus AMD Computer. When I spoke to the sales person at my local "The Computer Shop" no mention was made then either about it being Time.

Should have done some more research I guess.

What are Time like for replacing faulty systems? As it's only 10 days old I guess I could always reject it as Vog mentioned above.

woodchip 19:42 17 Jan 04

take it bake to the shop you got it and tell them you want another comp it's your rights

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…