Computer stops and restarts for no apparant reason

JF25 14:20 PM 12 Jun 13

My computer has started to stop and restart for no apparent reason I first noticed it when I shut down and windows said not to cut power as there were updates. Shortly after this started the PC stopped and restarted with the message that windows had stopped and I should pick from alternatives or windows would start normally in 20 seconds. This it did and I tried to install the updates manually but got as far as downloading them but when it started to install it stopped and restarted again with the same message.

I have not come across this before. OS is windows7 Home Premium. I have tried Tune Up Utilities 2013 but it does not seem to have helped. any advise welcome Thank you JF

spuds 14:29 PM 12 Jun 13

A bit of a wild guess, but if you have CCleaner installed on your computer, then try that programs 'registry check', and see if that comes up with some information?.

When you say that you have tried Tune Up Utilities 2013, "and it does not seem to help". What did you do, and what occured?.

bumpkin 14:44 PM 12 Jun 13

What sort of PC and how often does it do this.

bumpkin 14:53 PM 12 Jun 13

It may be overheating, give it a good clean out to make sure the heatsink and fans are not clogged up with dust.

Bris 16:57 PM 12 Jun 13

If you are saying you turned the PC off when it told you not to then its likely you have a corrupted OS.

Before it applied the updates it will have created a restore point. My suggestion is that you restore from this backup.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone