Computer starts up with all the options

s99Raj 22:08 20 Apr 05

I've just formatted a hard drive and added XP Home to it, and activated it. All went well. Now every time whether I go to Start/Turn Off Computer/Turn Off or to Start/Turn Off Computer/Restart I always get the screen that starts off by saying :

"We Apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this", etc.

It doesn't make any difference which of the following options I choose next :

-Safe Mode

-Safe Mode with Networking

-Safe Mode with Command Prompt

-Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

-Start Windows Normally

it always gives me the same message when I next start up.

What could be causing this?

s99Raj 22:27 20 Apr 05

any ideas please?

woodchip 22:29 20 Apr 05

What was the last Software or Hardware you loaded

s99Raj 22:34 20 Apr 05

No additional hardware was loaded before - it was working fine. The HD was getting clogged up with rubbish etc. so i decided to clean it by formatting and adding Windows XP. That's all that's on it. Not even Service Pack 1 helped. Before and after, I got the same problem and it's still there. All relevant motherboard, graphics, sound drivers have been installed too.

Chegs ® 22:38 20 Apr 05
  woodchip 22:39 20 Apr 05

Remove all but basic hardware and see how it goes

s99Raj 22:42 20 Apr 05

Tried that, woodchip. I have just the m/b, onboard graphics and sound, RAM and a hard drive installed. Still same problem.

Chegs ® 22:49 20 Apr 05

click here

Try "chkdsk /r" or "fixboot" from the "Recovery Console"

To get to the console,boot from the XP CD.When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.

s99Raj 22:53 20 Apr 05

I don't see the point in trying to repair or to fixboot as it's a clean install. However, maybe the chkdsk will point to a physical hard disk problem, maybe?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…