Computer starting up in safe mode

shazza65 20:26 23 Oct 03

I've been having a problem with my machine sticking when starting up, I reboot, then it re-starts in safe mode, I am running Windows 98 SE.

I found an answer in the 100th edition of PC Advisor which said to locate and delete winbootng.sts in the Windows folder. I searched my C drive for said file, but could not locate it.

Does anyone know how to cure this problem? I have given the computer a thump (just to make me feel better with the frustration) but this did not help!!

powerless 20:35 23 Oct 03
  shazza65 21:24 23 Oct 03

Powerless, thanks for the link however things did not go well.

I found the msdos.sys file, went into it with Wordpad like it said, but the only words in it was:

;sys

There were nothing at all in the file apart from that.

What was strange was it says, when you've found the file, to unclick the ticks from the "Read-Only" and "Hidden" boxes under Properties, mine only had "Archive" clicked.

I am now presumming that something is very wrong with the software, especially in light of when I first tried to respond to your advise, my machine froze (yet again) and I had to reboot.

Any suggestions??

alcudia 21:39 23 Oct 03

msdos.sys has to be a minimum size. I cant remember exactly what this is though. It will always contain a number of lines of x's to ensure it reaches this minimum size. There is something very wrong with your copy.

shazza65 21:48 23 Oct 03

I can't understand where all my X's have gone then, I must admit the "sticking" type problem has been going on for sometime, however the start up in safe mode has only happened over the last few weeks.

I am going to reinstall Windows 98 SE in the near future, with a view to upgrading to XP (because of pressure from friends) sooner rather than later but was hoping for a quick fix till then.

VoG II 21:52 23 Oct 03

The msdos.sys file is supposed to be at least 1024 bytes click here

However I doubt if that's the cause of your problem.

Try Start, Run, type in

SFC /SCANNOW

and click OK

Have your Windows disk to hand.

Then try the same but with the command line

SCANREG /FIX

shazza65 22:35 23 Oct 03

Gosh, I hope I'm not being stupid here but I couldn't get the thing to run. I went to run and typed in "SFC/SCANNOW" and clicked OK.

An error message came up saying:

"Cannot find the file 'SFC/SCANNOW' ((or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."

Am I missing something here, should I have put something infront of the above command???

VoG II 22:38 23 Oct 03

There needs to be a space between SFC and /SCANNOW

shazza65 22:48 23 Oct 03

Double gosh, sorry for not spotting the space thing.

Did as you said, typed SFC /SCANNOW and got the following error message:

The command line parameters are not valid. The following parameters were not recognised: "SCANNOW".

What does this mean??

VoG II 22:49 23 Oct 03

Try just typing SFC

woodchip 22:51 23 Oct 03

Just as a temp check, rename Autoexec.bat to Autoexec.old

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…