computer stalls on installing xp

consultik 16:24 02 Feb 06

Old pentium III system that I've cobbled together with bits from other computers for my mum (who probably won't use it for anything other than email, writing letters and perhaps a bit of surfing if she gets the bug). Had intended running it with Linux - got linspire up and running on it without any problems, but realised that no-one else would probably be able to help her with it if things went wrong, so went and bought a copy of XP home.
CD goes in, boots from CD, get to point where it says "Setup is inspecting your computers hardware configuration" and then the screen goes blank and nothing happens (Hard disk light on for several minutes).

Please help!

SANTOS7 16:27 02 Feb 06

maybe down to resources, not enough to run XP...

consultik 16:35 02 Feb 06

I don't think its a resource problem as the motherboard, processor, memory combination used to run xp on another machine (albeit slowly if u wanted to play games)

consultik 16:36 02 Feb 06

Hard disk light still on 12 mins after last trying the same actions

mattyc_92 16:37 02 Feb 06

What is the spec of this system you have "cobbled together"?

consultik 16:59 02 Feb 06

600M Hz Pentium III, 40 Gb Hard drive, CD Rom, unsure how much memory I have in there (can't find out how to tell with Linspire and don't want to take panels off at the moment, but I know its low)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…