Computer sortout advice needed please

3tg 20:25 31 Jul 03

I have had my computer about five years, it is ok, but it seems to have files etc, all over the place and items no longer needed. I am thinking of using the recovery disk as I wouldn't know where to start using format and fdisk ??? and installing from scratch. Can you forsee any problems arising using the recovery disk ?. I have been looking at various threads about the same thing and just reading them confuses me. Cheers

Djohn 20:41 31 Jul 03

Your recovery/restore disk will format your drive for you and reinstall everything back to what it was the day you bought your PC. It's [Or should be], an easy operation to do, just insert the CD Might need to re-boot, then follow the instructions on screen. They should be easy to understand and will require only a click of your mouse here and there, and for you to enter your personal details.

Remember though, you will lose all your personal files, settings and any hardware drivers you have installed over the years. Make sure you have these drivers to hand before you start. Also you will need to note your ISP and settings, unless you also have CD for this as well.

Once done, do a defrag of the drive and it should run like new. Others will advise on things I have missed, good luck, think you will be surprised at how quick your PC will be afterwards. j.

Djohn 20:51 31 Jul 03

Sorry! I missed out on one very important piece of info. Because the restore disk will be looking for the same hardware that came with the PC, if you have up-graded any internal parts it will not recognise them! If this is the case, you will need to format your drive and start from scratch, Don't forget, this means you will need an O/S. j.

Ironman556 21:11 31 Jul 03

Either take it out until you've finished with the recovery, then put the hardware back in and reinstall it, or...

A full reformat isn't difficult, all you have to do is get through it once, and after that you can do it in a couple of hours. The only program you'll need to use should be "format" which will come on a boot floppy (make one or go to click here) All you need to do is use it to boot, type the format command and sit back and wait. Then either set your PC to boot from CD-ROM or boot using the floppy again, select CD-ROM enabled and install from the Windows CD.

If you want to reformat without the recovery CD, post back and either I or another forum member will try to help you with simpler instructions.

3tg 09:31 01 Aug 03

you have all given me the boost to try it, I have already backed up my files, and made a list of drivers, programs and typed out the internet setting, fingers crossed folks ! Cheers

Ironman556 19:23 01 Aug 03

Don't forget favourites folder and the address book for e-mail, you can back all of your current e-mails up aswell if you want to if you're using outlook.

3tg 19:52 02 Aug 03

thanks Ironman, I forgot about the favourites, though I do not keep email addresses on the computer in case I get a virus an unintentionally pass it on, as they say "prevention is better than cure" I am still getting up the courage, I may try tomorrow. Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…