Computer slowing down

m800afc 18:31 29 Mar 09

Win XP pro SP3
My computer is slow again. I have run, seperately, AVG8, Superantispyware, A Squared, and Malwarebytes none of which reported anything suspicious, other that the expected cookies. I do not have more than one antivirus running at a time. I have run, CCleaner, Adaware and Spybot S&D. I have defragged those drives the OS suggested I should defrag.
Right clicking on a folder will be folowed by a twenty second wait before the menu opens, and trying to open Outlook can take up to ten minutes. I have looked at the task manager and nothing untoward seems to be hogging the CPU. I have also looked in the startmenu folder and reduced the autostarts to the bare minimum.
What next?

woodchip 18:38 29 Mar 09

I suggest you try Download Avast, remove AVG then install Avast before hitting the net

MAJ 18:39 29 Mar 09

What are the PC's specs, m800afc?
You say "My computer is slow again." what fixed it the last time? If this is a recurring problem, have you thought about backing up and reverting to factory settings?

m800afc 18:58 29 Mar 09

My computer semms to have "slow periods" every three months or so. I have regular weekly housekeeping sessions, but I have been unable to pinpoint a specific problem, if you know what I mean. All my system restore points disappeared a little while ago. I only found out when I tried to do a system restore, to resolve an ongoing Outlook problem
click here
I did consider at one time that overheating may be a problem, and I carefully cleaned inside the case, and the fans.
I was obliged to do a clean reinstall a couple of months ago, so there shouldn't be a problem.
Oh, forgot to mention I have scanned with Avast, it too found nothing.

birdface 19:07 29 Mar 09

click here this optimizer will speed your computer up a bit.It will only repair 10 items at a time and does an automatic back up.[Free]click here
Maybe remove Adaware and Spybot .
Make sure AVG is not running a scan at start up or updating.Set them to run at a later time.
If an oldish computer check the airvents for dust and fluff.if so inside will also need cleaning.
You can also try .Run.type in cmd.Ok then type in ipconfig /flushdns a small gap between ipconfig and forward slash or it will not work.Ok.It should tell you dns cache has been flushed ,if so reboot and see if it makes any difference.

birdface 19:15 29 Mar 09

Sorry you already cleaned inside.Maybe try a speed test to make sure that you are getting a proper download speed from your ISP.
click here
Nothing hogging the CPU if nothing running System idle process should be showing about 97% this is usual.
If using a modem switch it off for 10 seconds and then on again and leave for 2 minutes before you use it.
Not had Norton installed at any time have you or do you use a wireless connection.

m800afc 20:07 29 Mar 09

buteman.
Thank you very much for your comments. I have flushdns'ed and that seems to have solved the Outlook closedown niggle. Thank you.

My connection speed shows a consistent 6.2m on an 8m connection. I use
click here
and keep a log of the results.

I am curious as to the cause of this slowdown on my computer, and I wonder if it may be indicative of more serious worries.

Podracer 20:40 29 Mar 09

For a reason that I am not yet 100% clear (maybe malware), my computer (Vista) has restored itself to factory settings - both the main disc and the backup disc (which was reguarly backed up using the installed HP software). Is there any way on earth that I might be able to recover the deleted files ?? They weren't simply delted via the re-cycle bin, but wiped as the computer booted (and it took about an hour to boot as it presumably deleted approx 80GB).

tullie 20:47 29 Mar 09

You would be better starting your own thread and not hyjacking this one it just confuses everyone,particulery the original poster,who will get your answers.

birdface 21:28 29 Mar 09

How about Device manager.Anything with a yellow exclamation mark beside it.Memory do you have enough memory.
Maybe try using Firefox if you are using I.E.

birdface 21:37 29 Mar 09

You could try this free driver program to see if it finds any drivers needing updated.You don't need to download the drivers if you don't want to.You can go to the proper driver sites.
click here What Firewall do you use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…