Computer slowing down

Pineman100 09:32 04 Jan 07

A friend of mine runs a 3 yr old PC - Windows XP SP2, 256MB RAM, IE7, Norton Internet Security, Windows Defender, Adaware, Spybot S & D.

He has complained recently that the machine has got very slow to boot up (3 minutes or so) and is often quite slow in operation.

He has run every form of scan, and hasn't found any malware that could be causing this.

I have advised him that more RAM would probably be beneficial (he only has 256MB). But can you suggest any other clean-up processes that might help?

As a matter of interest, he never switches the machine off. Just let's it go into standby mode overnight. I think I've read on this forum that this can cause a slowdown over time, but I can't remember why. Do you have a view on this?

Thanks for any help and advice.

lisa02 09:37 04 Jan 07

Take NIS off for a start.
Defragg and disk checks.
Start shutting down when not in use for long periods like over night.
Last but not least get more RAM.

Technotiger 09:38 04 Jan 07

Hi, I don't think it is a good idea to have such a mixture in the security department, In my opinion only, I think that removing Defender may well speed things up again, even if it does not appear to be giving him any particular problems.

And yes, more RAM would certainly be beneficial.

skidzy 09:39 04 Jan 07

First thing i would do is reduce the startup programs.

Start/Run and type MSCONFIG and select startup.Untick everything except the av and firewall and reboot.

Secondly,Norton is reknown for being a system hungry resource,maybe removing this and replacing with AVG or Avast free antivirus coupled with Zonealarm or Kerio firewall.

Also a good cleanup may be needed,click here click here

Obviously adding more ram is the way to go if possible.

SLAYER 09:41 04 Jan 07

Definitely up the ram.Also use.

click here

click here

click here

Technotiger 09:42 04 Jan 07

In addition to what lisa02 has said, I would have suggested removing NIS too, except that, I am assuming he has been using NIS for some time without problems, so my thought was, leave well enough alone.

keef66 09:48 04 Jan 07

Increase ram to at least 512mb, preferably 1gb.

Dump the Norton app and Windows Defender; replace with something smaller. I use AVG and Zone alarm.

Give it a good sort out with Crapcleaner, and also use it to remove anything superfluous from startup

lisa02 09:48 04 Jan 07

Technotiger I can't see any problems with his anti-malware prgrams like adaware and spybot. They only run scans manually and are not active, with the exception of "teatimer" if the user elects to have it run.

Seems to me NIS and defender would be the resource hogs. I personally do not use either of them.

Agree with the above posts to do a good clean out with ccleaner and cleanup.

Technotiger 10:00 04 Jan 07

Agreed, in fact I think we all agree that all suggestions put here will have the desired effect - faster smoother safer performance.

lisa02 10:04 04 Jan 07

We all agree.

Pineman100 10:13 04 Jan 07

... for those helpful suggestions.

Does the fact that he never switches off the machine have any bearing on the problem? If so, could you please explain why, so I can persuade him to change his practice in the future?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac