Computer Slowdown

winksey 17:55 15 Apr 03

My computer has started a go slow and I dont know why. When I open say, My Computer, the icons on the Desktop will disappear for a second then re-appear then it takes an age for the folder to open. I also tried to run System Information and it took so long (20 mins) I gave up. I am running Windows Me,I have 128 RAM of which 71% is free, and a processor speed of 1200. Has anyone had a similar problem, if so could you let me know what caused it. Thanks.

winksey 17:56 15 Apr 03

Im sorry I forgot to mention I have a 40GB hard drive.

exodus 18:05 15 Apr 03

From safe mode, run scan disk and defrag.
Run msconfig and reduce the programmes running in your startup group. The fewer the better.
This site informs you what programmes are necessary.
click here
If your hard drive is nearly full, everything will slow down.
This site informs you all about running ME.
click here

biobird 18:21 15 Apr 03

I had the same problem. The icons seemed to peel off the screen downwards and then it ran agonisingly slowly. You might think you have 128RAM as I did, but if you right click on My Computer and look at Properties you might see 16RAM or something low. This was a faulty memory module, and replacing it seems to have cured the problem. Luckily RAM is quite cheap at the moment, or you could borrow someone else's DIMM chip to try out.

winksey 18:30 17 Apr 03

Ive looked at my RAM and it is 128, I did what you said exodus and there's no change but I did get a message when I ran msconfig, it read, Environment variables were found in the legacy files AUTOEXEC.BAT and/or CONFIG SYS and variables were moved to the windows registry. Could this be the cause and does anyone know what this means. Thanks,Winksey.

winksey 18:30 17 Apr 03

Ive looked at my RAM and it is 128, I did what you said exodus and there's no change but I did get a message when I ran msconfig, it read, Environment variables were found in the legacy files AUTOEXEC.BAT and/or CONFIG SYS and variables were moved to the windows registry. Could this be the cause and does anyone know what this means. Thanks,Winksey.

winksey 13:28 19 Apr 03

After much searching and playing around Ive found that my Anti Virus program was the cause of my problem, I have unistalled and re installed but it still causes the problem, does this mean using another Anti Virus program or could there be a way around it.If I do have to use a different one could someone please recommend one. I have been using PC Cillin 7.5. Thanks, Winksey.

Big Elf 13:34 19 Apr 03

AVG is free from click here is recommended by many on this site and they post regular updates. I've been using it for a few years but as I've never had a virus I can't confirm how effective it is.

Big Elf 13:36 19 Apr 03

Oh dear. I meant to say that AVG put out regular updates.

TOPCAT® 15:02 19 Apr 03

Sounds like your AV is/was the problem here. TC.

click here;en-us;262786

march 15:25 19 Apr 03

had same problem, posted on this forum under problems with pc-cillin, had to uninstall it looking for another anti virus now have e-mailed pc cillin but no reply yet
march

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…