Computer shutting down randomly

drew645 14:40 15 Aug 06

I am having a serious problem with my computer shutting down at random times. Complete shutdown, no warning or restart.
It will also fail to start from cold, took several attempts to start this morning (over several hours) although turned off overnight. Presumably then not a temperature problem. (Did not even attempt to start!)
Symptoms are as follows:
If shuts down during use, green light at front will flash every couple of seconds or so. Pressing start button does nothing and flashing green continues. Only solution is to turn off power at wall and then attempt restart. As light always flashes on shutdown power is clearly getting through.
Has happened during formatting so not a Windows or software problem.
Tried changing graphics card but problem continues (posted earlier on this and initially thought changing card had fixed it)
Have cleaned all fans and removed dust throughout. If a fan failed to start would that prevent startup completely or would the computer at least show signs of attempting to start?
Computer (Time computers) is Athlon 64 3000+, 512mb, ATI Radeon 9800pro, BIOS AMI 09/03/03, 120GB. Motherboard unknown.
IF it's something like a dodgy motherboard connection, I'm a bit out my depth. Is there a way to check this?
Any advice would be much appreciated. It's driving me crazy!
Cheers
Andrew

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:49 15 Aug 06

As light always flashes on shutdown power is clearly getting through.

power to LED very low if no/low power to board will not start or will shut down.

I suspect that the PSU is the most likey thing to be wrong. (and the cheapest to replace)

Can you beg steal or borrow another one to try?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…