Computer shuts down when I try Spybot?

spider9 15:24 10 Sep 06

A few minutes ago I ran 'Spybot', as I have been doing every couple of days for a long time. About one third the way through the whole computer shut down.
Started up again, after 'disk check' and ran my AVG Free scan - again it shut down part way through the scan.
Other than this things seem normal, I'm sending this for example!
Any clues, anyone?
Thanks.

Splodge 15:55 10 Sep 06

Try deleting Spybot and re-installing, many times that would be enough to get it back on the right track.

badgery 16:50 10 Sep 06

Thanks, Splodge, but it might be something else.
Since posting I got a 'shutdown' again and on starting up went into 'power' settings (not too computer literate!)and it showed my cpu temp as 101 deg C.
I assume this is rather high!!
Left everything to cool for an hour.
Unfortunately I'm not too clear about what to do next - apart from a new computer (this one is about 4 years old). However I may have to leave it till tomorrow as we are going out. Regards.

badgery 16:54 10 Sep 06

Sorry about 'name' confusion, I was on my mate's box when I replied (mine still cooling!).
Thanks again.

RobCharles1981 16:57 10 Sep 06

Try running Ewido Antispyware click here and update it

and also A-Squared Anti Malware click here

Update it and Disable System Restore and run those scans in Safemode and let us know what it finds

spider9 22:39 10 Sep 06

Thanks, apologies for delay, have been out and computer is cooling!
I am now convinced it is the temp of CPU that's giving me problems, the Spybot scan goes almost to completion if I try it first thing on Startup.
Temp of CPU showing in RED as over 102degC when it has shut down.
In the morning I will open up the case and have a look - may have to call for help after that as I'm not even sure what to look for!!
Cheers.

gudgulf 23:49 10 Sep 06

When you open the case...look for dust and fluff clogging the cpu fan/heatsink,graphics card (if fitted fan) and the case ventilation holes at rhe front (lower) and rear (upper) area.Check any side ventilation slots are clear and the power supply too.

When you've done that switch the pc on,with the side still removed and check that the cpu fan,graphics card fan(if fitted),any case fans and the power supply fan are all running.

You can buy cans of compressed air for clearing the heatsinks/fans etc...but a vacuum cleaner set to blow will do the job.Make sure you don't actually touch any components with the cleaner nozzle if you do this to avoid the risk of static electricity damaging any components.

spider9 07:44 11 Sep 06

Thanks for those tips , will be trying to get inside shortly and report!

spider9 09:59 11 Sep 06

Fan on CPU was working, but I didn't think it looked great (seemed to be 'stuttering' a bit?) blew through the case and by using a desk fan for cooling, was able to complete 'Spybot' - and no bugs!
After switching off and checking temp (red 102Deg) the fan actually ground to a complete stop!
So it's a new fan then.
Another journey into the unknown for me! Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…