Computer shuts down unexpectedly

sky121 16:31 03 Apr 10

My printer always worked fine up until today. I was trying to print an email receipt when suddenly my computer shut down and restarted automatically. Then the pc said it was recovering from a serious error and that the problem was due to hardware or software issue and can cause loss of data (told me to back up my data). Scary! This is the first time I see this! Can anyone help me please? Thanks.

Audio~~Chip 16:38 03 Apr 10

Overheating, corrupt Driver, Faulty PSU, virus/s

Can you tell us if its a Laptop or a Desktop, and what make/brand please.

Jollyjohn 16:41 03 Apr 10

Have a look in EVENT VIEWER, via control panel, administrative tools. Look for warnings at the time the computer shut down. If nothing here suggest overheating / psu problem

Audio~~Chip 16:45 03 Apr 10

sky121 15:20 04 Apr 10

It's a desktop, I'm on XP and the brand of my computer is Packard Bell. I'm also using Firefox version 3.6 and I know that Firefox and hotmail have been having problems recently. Is there any connection with this printing problem? I tested the printer by printing a simple Word document and it printed fine. I would be very surprised if it was a virus as I'm careful with these things. I run a full system scan yesterday with AVG and it was all ok.
What is a faulty PSU & corrupt driver? How do I fix that? Sorry you will need to explain that as I am a real beginner! Thanks a lot.

Strawballs 15:40 04 Apr 10

I would give it a good cleanout of dust but especially remove cooling fan and clean out dust from between the fins on heatsink using a soft brush and vacume held back a bit or a can of compressed air with a straw on it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:09 04 Apr 10

Age?

PB 4 or 5 years old I would suspect PSU is starting to die.

sky121 16:20 04 Apr 10

I bought my computer late 2006, so it's about 3.5years old... Not that old, my previous computer lasted about 6 years! What's a PSU and how do I solve this problem? Is it really a serious problem as the pc message says? Thanks.

rdave13 16:21 04 Apr 10

Be careful with the Packard Bell CPU cooler if it has one of those plastic chain type of fitting that holds down the cooling fan and CPU settup.
Seen one of these fail and the CPU overheated and died.

sky121 16:32 04 Apr 10

Sorry guys, but when you post me a reply, could you try and explain what these things mean please? I'm a beginner and never had this sort of problem before! :-( Thanks.

rdave13 16:42 04 Apr 10

I'd download SpeedFan, read the help files and monitor your temperatures and Volts. If the PC dies again and no apparent high temperatures then it could be the Power Supply Unit. (PSU)
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…