Computer shuts down after a few seconds ~HELP~

puddylump 14:38 05 Aug 10

Here's the situation,
I was online doing some shopping when all of a sudden everything froze. The light on the mouse went off and I couldn't do anything. I shut down the computer and rebooted it. It appeared to start normally until it go to the account selection screen. Everything froze again.

I rebooted but this time the pc didn't load anything up on the screen, and instead shut down after a mere 2-3 seconds.

I really need to use that computer and can't afford to buy a new computer and/or parts for it. It's only a year old and running Windows Vista 32bit. It has 3gb RAM but as I can't access the computer at all I don't know the rest of the specifications.

Thank you.

Clapton is God 15:31 05 Aug 10

"It's only a year old"

Is it not still under warranty?

puddylump 15:46 05 Aug 10

No, it is not still under warranty.

wiz-king 18:13 05 Aug 10

Sounds like a power supply fault, are the fans still working? If it will start from cold and run for a minute or so I may be the CPU heatsink is clogged with dust and over heating.

puddylump 19:23 05 Aug 10

I have tried switching the power supply and cleaning the heatsink and fans but still the problem persists. It is not a problem with the RAM either because I switched the RAM but it still did the same. Oh and now the LED's in the power switch don't turn on at all, whereas they did earlier.

Can anyone else help?

ronalddonald 20:34 05 Aug 10

have you checked the plugs and main cable that their not loose

sunnystaines 20:43 05 Aug 10

takethe side off the case put a office desk fan blowing heaps of cold air into the open case.

best way to eliminate overheating, if now works ok, you will have to investigate overheating.

could be many things, a difficult one to notice if the paste needs replacing that holds the sink on the CPU.

puddylump 18:41 09 Aug 10

We tried doing the fan idea but to no avail. In the end we just decided it would be cheaper to just buy a whole new computer than pay out almost double for repairs. Thank you all so much for the help though.

sunnystaines 19:07 09 Aug 10

only leaves a duff motherboard, might be cheaper to buy a barebones bundle [new m/b with CPU and RAM] and fit to your present pc. if your duff pc has oem vista then you will need a new oem disk.

look at novatech too keep costs down and get good service.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac