Computer shuts down

jaimie 19:29 19 May 06

I've recently built a new comp with Asus MOBO and athlon processor, running Win XP SP2 with 256 MEGs memory. The machine will suddenly switch itself off as if the plug was pulled.It won't restart unless I unplug the mains and waiting a few seconds it will then respond the the start button. I thought this must be the power supply so I replaced that and it still shuts down on it's own. Anyone any ideas please

Jaimie

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:58 19 May 06

Disable auto-reboot
When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, ofter it will restart too fast for you to see the error message.
To disable auto restart on system failure, so you can see the error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

jaimie 07:18 20 May 06

Hi Fruitbat, it doesn't reboot. It's like if you pulled the plug from the wall whilst the comp is running, it goes from fully booted and working to silent in about one second. pressing the start button on the case has no effect until you pull the plug from the power supply and wait a few seconds and then replace it, then it will start normally. It's not temp related because the machine only runs for about five minutes.
Jaimie

wobblymike 09:50 20 May 06

It could be temperature related - have you confirmed that your cpu fan is running properly if it is go into BIOS and have a look at the temp your cpu is running at if its over 50 deg then that could be the cause.

jaimie 06:20 28 May 06

Thanks guys, I've been away for a few days so not been logging on. I changed the power supply for another one and left it running for five day on soak test and all is now OK.

Thanks again for your help

Jaimie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…