Computer shutdown after changing CPU

baucis 14:50 15 May 06

Intending to upgrade from W98SE to XP on a computer which gets little use I decided to change the CPU for a better one which I have. After changing the Athlon A1200AMS3C for an AX 1600DMT3C in a Chaintech motherboard which supports both products the machine boots up OK but shuts down after about 3 minutes. Both power on and hard drive LEDs remain on but nothing appears to be running. And the machine can only be turned off at the plug. I used thermal paste between the heatsink and the chip so I am inclined to think the problem is not temperature related. Come to think about it, the BIOS was reporting a chip temperature of 47°C after three minutes. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Gongoozler 16:51 15 May 06

Although the BIOS suggests that there isn't a temperature problem, I still suspect that there is. Try downloading and installing MBM5 click here so that you can monitor the temperature while the processor is doing real work.
Also - you said that you used thermal paste between the chip and the heatsink, which is a good thing to do, but did you make sure that the surfaces were ABSOLUTELY clean befor you did so. I once burnt out a Duron by leaving a speck of dried out compound on it when I fitted a new heatsink.

baucis 14:56 22 May 06

Matter resolved, was caused either by carelessness or bad eyesight! Or a combination.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…