Computer Shutdown

Solnishko 13:37 14 Aug 06

For several weeks I have been experiencing my computer losing power.

It only happens once per session.

I have an ASUS P5WD2 - premium (3months old), Intel Pentium 3.6 775, 600w PSU (3 months old), ASUS X800XT Graphics Card, Windows XP Home Service Pack 2.

At first I thought this would be software related and consequently reformatted yesterday, only for it to happen again.

I know it can't be overheating as it literally only happens once per session and once it happens it shows no sign of any problem whatsoever.

As it's an ASUS board I have PC Probe II installed, now it does show the CPU & Motherboard running at higher temperatures than the default threshold of PC Probe, but if it is an overheating problem surely it would repeat the shutdown far more regularly.

When the PC is rebooted I do not receive any message errors or notifications of software not shutting down properly.

Any ideas ?

xania 13:46 14 Aug 06

My first reaction is that a PC 3 months old is still under warranty and your best bet would be to let the vendor sort this out for you. I do think that this is heat related, and the fact that the PC only reboots the once could be caused by the fact that a fan is sticking on first boot up, but the boost caused by subsequent boot-up resolves the problem.

Solnishko 14:01 14 Aug 06

Yeah I wish I could give it back under warranty, regrettably though it is a PC put together by me and only a couple of components are within warranty period.

The PC usually runs for up to 15minutes or so before it shutsdown and it has always occured when running 3D demanding games.

I will check the fans tonight just to make sure they are clean, although PC Probe does have a fan speed monitor.

xania 12:14 17 Aug 06

Those games also put tremendous strain on the graphics card, so make sure that any attached fan is working properly and that the airflow through the box is not obstructed by strap cables etc. Also make sure that the card is firmly installed in its slot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos