Computer Shutdown

heavymetalkid 23:05 10 May 06

Every once in a while my machine won't shutdown. It gets as far as "Saving your settings" or "Computer is shutting down" and goes no further. I've then got no option but to use the main switch. Can anyone help?

aca 23:09 10 May 06

if using xp have a look at click here

FatboySlim71 23:12 10 May 06

If this happens then hold the power button on the front of your PC in for 4-5 seconds or so and it should switch off, the problem you have mentioned is caused by I think a program/task that has not closed properly. Visit the below site and this tells you more.

click here

heavymetalkid 23:46 10 May 06

Aca and Fatboy Slim, thanks both...downloaded updates and I'll see if it cures the problem. HOWEVER,I'm set for automatic updates, thus unsure why I had to download????

Eric half-a-bee 10:43 11 May 06

Try some of these registry tweaks - they reduce shutdown time, but they may also give you a shortcut around shutdown hang

To allow Windows XP to close non-responsive applications automatically upon shutdown:

REGEDIT and navigate to 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop'
Highlight the value 'AutoEndTasks.' Change the value to '1

Reduce the amount of time Windows will take to kill open applications on shutdown.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
Highlight the 'WaitToKillAppTimeout' Set value to '1000' (from 20000).
Highlight the 'HungAppTimeout' value Set it to '1000'

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
Highlight the 'WaitToKillAppTimeout' value. Set it to '1000' (the default should be 20000).
Highlight the 'HungAppTimeout' value. Set it to '1000' also.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\ControlHighlight the value 'WaitToKillServiceTimeout' Change this value to '1000.'

gudgulf 10:57 11 May 06

Another good site for shutdown issues click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:07 11 May 06

Shutdown problems
click here
click here
click here

heavymetalkid 23:20 11 May 06

Many thanks everyone, very helpful as usual. Closed down properly tonight, I'll wait with bated problems invariably reappear. Andy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…