Computer security

craftycraig 10:00 01 Jul 07

I have recently bought a new computer which came with vista now having used xp with nod32 and zone alarm im just curious as to whether or not it's adequate to not install zone alarm and use the windows firewall instead as Im told it's a great firewall. I do also have a firwall inside my router. Would anyone recommend any firealls for vista other than zone alarm that is easy on resources etc?

isca2 10:51 01 Jul 07

Although some will disagree, the firewall in the router should be adequate with the Windows firewall installed as well. Some may even say the the router alone is sufficient without any extra 3rd party firewall.

Pine Man 11:03 01 Jul 07

I have run Vista since the beginning of the year. My Internet Security Suite does not yet have a firewall so I have relied on the router firewall and Vista firewall and had no problems whatsoever. In fact I recollect a thread posted by the FE some while ago that suggested that it was all you needed.

rambus 11:03 01 Jul 07

go to this link click here and you can test your security with or without any firewall

skidzy 22:01 01 Jul 07

Same here,been running Vista's own Firewall coupled with free AVG and no problems to date.

I see no reason to load a third party Firewall and use those resources needlessly.

afreen 08:02 02 Jul 07

we have a win 2003 server installed in our office recently and 5 pcs attached toit....do any of the clint pcs or the server require any additional antivirus software to be installed? also only when i turn off the wondows firewall, can i access the network......so is it safe to keep the windows firewall off? i don think there is any other firewall present either.......pl help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced