Computer searching for ?PCI ethernet controller??

p;3 09:41 09 Feb 06

(Win 98 se IE 6 on tower)
(AVG, adaware,spybot and a squared installed)
since taking on either the massive load of a squared update or the new AVG update , not sure which, computer is now searching, on boot up, for the PCI ethernet controller ; I have also had to adjust my AVG internal clock as my pc had its clock put out of alignment by ??AVG which was showing a date in Feb 2001( I think!);

my question is; to what does the PCI ethernet controller relate?

I am bypassing this request by telling my pc to ignore it

I have run the a squared updated program OK and my AVG program OK too ; any clues anyone?

Newuser4165 10:05 09 Feb 06

I wouldn't advise running a squared as well as AVG.Uninstall a squared and see if that fixes your problem.

p;3 10:08 09 Feb 06

may I ask why you do not advise having both A squared and AVG together?

Gongoozler 10:11 09 Feb 06

Do you have an ethernet controller either as a PCI card or integrated in the motherboard?

Skills 10:12 09 Feb 06

PCI ethernet controller is your network card any problems shown up in device manager. Try reinstalling the drivers for your network card.

I cant see a problem wth running a2 and AVG. AVG a dedicated AV app with real time protection a2 is a standalone scanner for trojans and malware the too should be fine together IMO.

flyboy 10:20 09 Feb 06

The Ethernet controller is for your network card.

If you do not use it you can disable it in your bios setup.

If you use it seems like its driver(s) may need re-installing,

Check your network connection in control panel/system/hardware/device manager/ network

adaptors and make sure it has not got a yellow or red synbol on it.

Some others may have a better explanation.

flyboy 10:23 09 Feb 06

Agree with Skills on the a2 & avg usage.

p;3 10:27 09 Feb 06

"Check your network connection in control panel/system/hardware/device manager/ network

adaptors and make sure it has not got a yellow or red synbol on it." all is completely clear

and as to running AVG and A 2 , on the same machine, I have no issue with that; they are not both antivirus programs so seem to get on quite well together,; just have to learn how to "read" a squared results:)

p;3 19:29 13 Feb 06

this has now been resolved by having the computer"s internal clock settings reconfigured; the machine was looking for some settings that had gotten themselves bashed out of alignment

p;3 19:36 13 Feb 06

ticking off; as hopefull now sorted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced