Computer screen keeps going off and is crashing PC

Peter C 11:32 08 Feb 05

Hiya, you will have to bare with me as Im female and I dont know much about computers! For the past 2 weeks all of the time whilst using our PC the screen goes blank as if switching itself off and then comes back on again. Sometimes it crashes the PC and I have to switch it off to restart cuz nothing works. I have run Ad-Aware and Norton and I know I dont have any viruses. Anyone got any ideas to what I can do next? Is it something to do with the Display or anything? Help Im lost.
Im using Windows XP.
Thankyou!

sicknote 11:57 08 Feb 05

What happens to monitor lights do they out or go to orange/standby,More info on your PC please ,Make,model,monitor,etc would help !!

Peter C 12:01 08 Feb 05

Sorry if I was a bit vague. The monitor light goes to orange stand-by. The PC is a Packard Bell and the monitor is the Packard Bell 15" flat screen, errr does that help? So sorry for being a plonker but I dont know much!

sicknote 13:46 08 Feb 05

Have you model number of Packard bell

ACOLYTE 13:56 08 Feb 05

Just a guess but it may be your graffix card is faulty or overheating.

Sethhaniel 13:57 08 Feb 05

try right clicking on open area of the desktop
select properties - then screen saver - in energy saving section click on 'Power' see what settings are there for 'Turn of Monitor' 'Turn of Hard Disk' and 'System Standby' - and adjust accordingly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…