Computer screen freezes on startup

thumbscrew 19:51 PM 19 Apr 13

I can only start my computer in Safe Mode with networking,not normal Safe Mode. If I try and boot up as normal it goes as far as the Windows XP screen with the small squares on the bottom moving from left to right, then it freezes.I have done a System Restore but no joy. Can anyone help please?

johndrew 20:03 PM 19 Apr 13

Have you updated any drivers - especially graphics - recently? If not what had you done immediately prior to the problem?

You should note that System Restore will only affect the OS and may not impact drivers.

thumbscrew 20:13 PM 19 Apr 13

Hi john, I did update something yesterday...from updatechecker, can't actually remember what it was now, however I had the computer working earlier today with no problems, it only started performing when I arrived home this evening.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:21 PM 19 Apr 13

Failing at scrollingbars is usually a driver problem

Now you are in safemode uninstall graphics driver reboot if it gets in normally let windows reinstall driver.

If still same boot to safemode again and unistall drivers one at a time until problem resolves.

thumbscrew 20:41 PM 19 Apr 13

Thanks Fruit Bat, add/remove gives me the option I think to uninstall all my drivers. Wouldn't this completely immobilise the computer?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:56 PM 19 Apr 13

Add/remove does not remove drivers in XP you need to do it in device manager one at a time until it boots then you know which one was causing the problem.

thumbscrew 20:56 PM 19 Apr 13

Ps, how do I find the graphics driver?

thumbscrew 21:19 PM 19 Apr 13

Could I wreak havoc doing this? How can I reinstall them?

johndrew 10:07 AM 20 Apr 13

The easiest way is to Roll Back the drivers. This should allow you to simply restart using the drivers you had before the problem.

An alternative is to uninstall the new/existing drivers and reinstall. To do this you will need to download the correct drivers for your graphics card and then follow the uninstall process; having done this you need to install the drivers from the download.

I suggest you use System Restore to undo to the original position - before you used it prior to your post - and then use the Roll Back option.

edwardsmithnice 05:40 AM 22 Apr 13

It might be some hardware problem in your system so please consult some windows tech support for solving your Problem

thumbscrew 15:07 PM 22 Apr 13

Thank you johndrew fruitbat and edward and apologies for this delayed response. Reason was I called in a Tech, who spent two hours in my place trying to fix it with no joy. He then took it away and succeeded in getting it going, but just before he was leaving to bring it back, the problem returned. He then got it going second time and returned it. He was honest enough to admit that he didn't know exactly what the problem was, but it almost certainly came from an update, leading to a corrupted file and at the moment I'm running it with automatic updates turned off. Thanks all, for your help and patience.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…