Computer says my sd card needs formating

nutty norm 03 Nov 12
Answered

Having been using this camera nikon coolpix S400 for the last few days to get pictures on to my computer for a few presentations it say today that it need to format it before it can be used, i just thought it was a glitch and removed picaso thinking it was that program that was at fault, so when i put it back on the fault was still there, so i got another card from another camera a sony H9 and it doesnt seem to recognise that one also , having done a system restore to yesterday and that hasnt worked the fault is still on any suggestions (windows 7 home edition) Nutty Norm

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 03 Nov 12
Answer

Camera cards should always be formatted in the camera and not the PC.

If the PC is not reading the SD cards then it is possible the card is corrupted. but if same for other cards then more likely a problem with the card reader.

I suggest you first uninstall and reinstall the card reader drivers in device manager.

nutty norm 03 Nov 12

Thanks Fruit Bat for the quick response if i unistall the card readers were do i get it back from,ive looked in the device Manager but cannot see card reader drivers, i know you have to format the card on the camera but if i do that i have lost all my pictures on the camera, nutty norm

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 03 Nov 12

Yes do not format the cards

Once uninstalled you can either scan for new hardware or just reboot and let windows find and reinstall the drivers.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Behind the scenes at Silverstone, the 70th British Grand Prix: Hisense starts UK push with Red…

How Found created this skateboard, bike and parkour stunts-laden, single-take car ad

Apple Pay UK launch date, UK user guide and participating UK banks | Apple Pay to launch in UK on 1?…

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message