Computer restarts when i shut down

joolzski 22:51 26 Nov 09

As the title suggest really.

It has only started doing this recently.
Ive also noticed that for some strange reason my soundcard has uninstalled itself. (Creative soundblaster external). and when i go to re install my soundcard, the drive recognises a disk but will not auto run or setup.

Just a few probs, which i would like to get sorted out, any ideas??

Strawballs 23:16 26 Nov 09

Has it been since you changed any hardware or installed software?

User-1229748 00:12 27 Nov 09

don't know what operating system you are running joolzki but if you go to control panel - power options - and on the left there may be a link choose what the power buttons do.if so see what they are set to.

donki 09:34 27 Nov 09

If you havent been inside your case and the problem has only recently raised its head I would boot Windows into safe mode and run your anti virus and spyware software. Could be an annoying virus, have you noticed and perfomance drop?

joolzski 16:39 27 Nov 09

Thanks for your reply's.

No hardware changes or installed software i remember, it just happened.

I am running xp home edition. I will check the power buttons in control panel.

The only time ive been in the case is to add more ram. that was some time ago and its only recently its done this. It also has a black screen on bootup with a progress bar on the bottom, which takes about 7 mins to boot up. but for it to restart on switch off is only recently. i will try te safe mode option aswell.

legalrep 17:04 27 Nov 09

This happened to me a while ago now, it was a virus have you run your anti-virus program?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:05 27 Nov 09

Disable Wake on LAn or wake on ring in the BIOS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017