Computer restarts when connecting to internet

Newuser4165 10:36 14 May 03

My colleague has just had BT broadband installed but has run into a problem.When attempting to connect to the internet the pc restarts instead.
The OS is Win XP - the modem is connected directly to the pc via the USB connection .
Can someone offer some help on this please.

spikeychris 19:21 14 May 03

Theres obviously some kind of conflict going on. XP has a very bizarre way of dealing with restarts??

The first thing to do is to turn this useless feature off... press the Windows key and the pause/break key at the same time or go to control panel and double click system. Click the advanced tab and then click the
"settings" button on "start up and recovery", under system failure un-tick "automatically restart"

This will allow your machine to give you an error message concerning what is going on.....

otubby1 20:06 14 May 03

I've just spotted the keyboard shortcut you gave to Newuser4165. Now I know there are a lot of these built in, and use a couple myself, but is there a full list on the MS site?

VoG™ 20:17 14 May 03
  otubby1 20:36 14 May 03

Excellent!! Well done, saves me searching :)

Newuser4165 08:50 15 May 03

Thanks for the tips folks.I,ll get my colleague to have a look at the event log and see which programs/hardware are causing this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…