computer restarts unexpectedly

shuggee 08:40 13 Sep 03

I have a Packard Bell computer, AMD Athlon 1.7 processor, running Windows XP Home.

I have had Norton anti virus and personal firewall running on my system. Now that the subscription has run out I decided to try AVG. I uninstalled Norton and now, a short while after connecting to the Internet, my computer restarts by itself.

Sometimes I get a message saying that the computer must shut down because the Remote Procedure Call has terminated unexpectedly.

I have tried restoring the computer to a previous restore point but now when i start the thing i get a message about corrupt files in Norton anti virus.

While I was doing all this, a box popped up saying something abou a new certificate for Backweb. Not knowing what Backweb is, I cancelled this.

The computer restarts about ten minutes after I connect to the Internet, sometimes with the message described abov, other times without warning.

I would be grateful if anyone can offer any suggestions as to what to do next.

Thanks
shuggee

faintly curious 08:45 13 Sep 03

You have the Blaster Worm virus - go to this Microsoft webpage for information on how to remove it - click here

Jester2K II 09:55 13 Sep 03

The MSBlaster worm or Nachia worm can get onto your PC within 30 seconds of you logging onto the internet.

click here

Also to stop the Shutdown hit WinKey (Windows Flag Key) and R type "shutdown -a" no quotes and hit enter. This'll buy you more time.

shuggee 00:08 14 Sep 03

Thanks for your help. I have now installed AVG and Zone Alarm. AVG found viruses and everything seems to be running OK.

Thanks again
shuggee

Jester2K II 09:23 14 Sep 03

Have you installed the patch? If not you'll get constantly bombarded by the virus and your AV and Firewall will have to keep fending it off. With the patch installed theres no problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…