Computer Restarts On Boot

HydroJohn 14:13 20 Jun 09

I shut my computer down aqt the wall last night, and when i booted it up today i got the "windows did not start succesfully , a recent hardware or software change may have caused this"

Select

Safe Mode
Safe Mode W/ Networking
Safew Mode W/ command promt

Last known good config

Or Start windows normally

i have tried all 5 and it loads then the windows loadnig screen comes on then, then cmoputer just restarts whats going wrong?

By the way i have an advent t9004 with windows xp on it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:42 20 Jun 09

You may need to do a repair install - do you have or can borrow an XP CD?

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

johndrew 14:45 20 Jun 09

It sounds as if you have corrupted a system/registry file by turning off the power whilst a drive was writing rather than turning it off in the correct manner.

The best starting point is to carry out a `sfc /scannow` check click here. Note the space in the input as I have typed it. But you will need to boot the PC to do this.

As this fails to work the next move would be a `Repair` click here. You will need your XP CD and your Product Key (either on a label on the PC or the CD packaging). You will need to update Windows after this work but should lose no other data.

For the future, a backup program such as Acronis True Image will protect to a greater extent as you could simply have recovered Windows from there and replaced any updates since the backup was made.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…