Computer restarts up

Dr. Charles(retired now) 15:34 27 Sep 03

I am running windows 98SE and an AMD 2.6 Gigs Processor - -512 MB Ram

When I try and close down my computer (and this happens with restart also) my computer trys to shut down -- the screen dims and then brightens up again and come back as it was, running and happy.

I have to "shutdown" twice before it will really shut down.

I seem to have done all the "Fixes" on the MS site, I have checked the Fastshutdown in my register is 0 .

Does any one have any more ideas please?

Best wishes,

Charles

gold 47 15:43 27 Sep 03

Sorry i don't think this will much help but your ram is to high for W98 256MB is better running 512mb ram with W98 causes it to hang or lock up as a rule at least that is what happens to me.

Dr. Charles(retired now) 15:51 27 Sep 03

This has just started in the last 6 weeks.

Charles :)

Seano 16:01 27 Sep 03

Aslong as you have sufficiant RAM that wouldn't be the problem . What you need to do is first check your hardware for conflicts , this can be done in device manager through your contol panel . If there is a conflict try uninstalling the hardware and re-installing . You also nees to unpdate the drivers for your hard aware and . Go to the manufacturers websites amd undate to the latest drivers for the hardware you have installed on your computer . And fanally you probably need to update you bios too . Again goto the website of the manufacturer of you motherboard and chipset and download the updated bios . These won't auto install , you need to install to the flash memory on the motherboard . Refer to your motherboard handbook for instructions ..... I hope this is of help .

Dr. Charles(retired now) 16:12 27 Sep 03

Its bios - - - -problem solved

Charles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…