Computer restarting on start-up

sjbell 17:16 01 May 03

Yesterday, when I switched on my computer I had five cycles of it restarting shortly after Windows had loaded. In the end I turned the power off at the mains. I use XP and I used the F5 key to choose start using last known good option. This worked okay and I thought I had cracked the problem (I have turned the computer on and off several times since). However, today it happened again, although this time I only had to suffer one restart before it started normally. It seems to occur when Windows has finished loading and it starts to load programmes such as Norton Anti-virus, ZoneAlarm, the drivers for my broadband modem, etc. Does this sound like a software problem or a hardware problem? I could use the XP restore feature to roll back, but I wouldn't know when to choose as I can't link this problem with any updates except possibly a virus scan update or a windows update. Any ideas? I have backed up my computer in case of the worst!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…