//some 3rd party need geo

Computer resets when I put a CD in any drive

Murray 18:52 31 Aug 03

A problem has developed on a machine I recently built for a friend. I did test it fully after I built it and it worked fine. If he puts a data CD in either the DVD or CD RW drives it resets the machine. The same happens if he tries to play a CD in Win Amp, but it works fine in Media Player.

I've asked him to test it with more CD's to see if is a faulty disk or a corrupted copy of windows.

Any other ideas?

wiznyme 18:56 31 Aug 03

If it's happening on both drives it's unlikely to be the drives.

If it doesn't happen with media player, that more or less rules out any other h/ware such as the EIDE controllers or Sys board.

Its unlikely to be windows if everything works ok in media player.

Most likely culprit is a 3rd party piece of s/ware thats been installed.

Murray 19:30 31 Aug 03

cheers wiznyme, he says he hasn't installed any other software.

I'll phone him and see if he's tested it iwth other disks.

Murray 00:02 01 Sep 03

He's tested it with a few other disks and so far 2 data disks make it reset and every audio CD does the same (only in winamp). The only software he has installed (after I tested it) is Championship Manager 4 and Sim City. After installing Sim city, he tried to play it and it reset.

I think a clean install of windows (2000) is in order, unless anyone can suggest any other ideas?

MichelleC 11:40 01 Sep 03

Any yellows in device manager, is dma enabled?

Murray 23:34 03 Sep 03

Nope, no hardware problems, it seems. I disabled DMA mode for both drives and the problem persists.

I managed to get a more thorough description of the problem.

I think there are two problems, maybe with the same cause. (?)

firstly Audio. If he puts an audio cd in, Winamp insists on playing it, even if you change the settings. after about 15 seconds it either resets or goes to a BSOD - Stop Message. No problems if you play the CD in any other program.

He installed Sim City off 2 cd's, then whenever he tries to play the game, it resets the machine. A similar thing happens with another game (but not thoroughl tested yet). Could it just be a coincidence that both CD's are faulty?

Chegs ® 00:14 04 Sep 03

Which version of Winamp as I saw some reports on another site of occasional probs with 3* versions,and links to get the older 2* versions only I lost the page addy in a recent crash.Sorry

Murray 12:26 05 Sep 03

Winamp 2.91 I think, I've had probs with 3 too, went back to 2

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…