I recently d/loaded ad-aware SEplus & Ad-Watch &
have read that Registry maintenance software is
essential to prevent crashes etc.Being not too
computer literate,I'm not sure if I'd know how to
use/configure such software.Can anyone advise me
on this please.I'm thinking of using RegHance as
it is same family as ad-aware.Thanks.

csqwared 20:31 16 Sep 05

You say your'e not too computer literate so my view would be to leave the registry well alone - it can really mess things up if you do it wrong. IMHO all you need is software similar to the ones you mention - most of the problems on computers are the result of virus'etc.

cc

Kenneth-266656 20:46 16 Sep 05

I completely agree with the response from csqwared. Messing around with the registry is best left to experts who know exactly what they're doing. I've run XP Home for about 3 years now. I've never touched the registry ( and hope I never have to). Provided your whole setup of hardware and software is compatible your computer should run in a stable manner with no need for constant tweaking. I have got Ad Aware SE on and no the first run it informed me of quite a few things including seven incorrect value of registry keys. I chose to fix all the rest except the reg keys on the basis that the computer was running in a very stable manner and giving no problems. My philosophy - "If it aint broke don't fix it".

wilco33 20:46 16 Sep 05

Thanks for your response csqwared,sounds wise.
Hope I'll get some more response to confirm your
opinion.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:59 16 Sep 05

Mess with the registry

Jackcoms 21:05 16 Sep 05

Alternatively

Use click here
to clean up the registry.

I am NOT computer literate but I have used RegSeeker regularly for about a year now.

I've always deleted everything it finds and have never had any problems.

josie mayhem 21:16 16 Sep 05

I agree with the others leave the registry well alone, it belongs to the play ground of death. It is very unforgiven place to be.

I have ventured here several times, but well armed with specfic instrustion with the fault that I needed fixed. At the point of entry I am in the posistion of KILL or CURE, the last ditch attemp before reformating and reinstalling the whole system.

You will find that software like avg7 ect, will protect quite well with out much input from you, they come with quite a good basic configulation that needs very little altering from the average user.

wilco33 21:19 16 Sep 05

Well, as responses appear to be unanimous, will
heed your advice.Thank you all,I've been enligh-
tened & also saved myself a few quid.Much apprec-
iated.. :)

GaT7 21:32 16 Sep 05

Reghance is a registry editor that has a few extra features when compared to Windows own editor, so yes it's a good thing you didn't purchase it.

I think what you were looking for is a registry cleaner/repairer/optimiser, like the one Jackcoms suggested (I don't trust any of them, despite the positive things users say, & prefer editing the registry manually - but that's another story!). If you choose to use these programs you're doing so at your own risk.

If you're ever called upon to make changes in the registry (some problem solutions need this, or you use a registry cleaner), I would strongly recommend you make a backup of the registry, or set a System Restore point if using WinME/WinXP. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…