computer refuses to standby or shutdown

march 19:15 08 Feb 05

running win98, all seems to be fine loading programs & internet etc

went to put computer on standby & window appears saying
'cannot go on standby because a device driver or program wont allow it close all open programs & try again'

have tried but no response & also had to turned off at mains (because computer just hung for ages)& then on again but still no response. anyone help please?
march

march 19:40 08 Feb 05

just to add have run sfc & scanreg no problems found
any ideas please?

march 20:05 08 Feb 05

also not downloaded or installed any programs or changed any settings it just seems to have gone on its own accord

please help someone; fed up of chatting to myself

march 20:40 08 Feb 05

will have to leave this overnight

really hope someone will be able to suggest something for me to try I will check for replys as soon as I can tomorrow

meanwhile thanks if you do post

march

end 20:41 08 Feb 05

can you shut it down using the window that appears when you go to start menue, shut down , then click on shut down in the box that appears?

Pumbah 20:55 08 Feb 05

Hi there, Have a look at this link
click here

march 07:15 09 Feb 05

end - no cannot shutdown that way,

Pumbah - had a look on that site & ran Susfail.txt and it came up with this-

DevNode 'USB Flatbed Scanner' (USB\VID_0461&PID_0364\INST_0) failed the suspend

so I suppose the scanner is causing the problem but I dont know what to do now the above doesn't mean anything to me

anyone help on this?

end 07:44 09 Feb 05

you do not say how long this has been happening, nor what you may have recently installed on there; presumably your scanner has been on there for some time, or is it new? and , if new, ??correctly installed?

theDarkness 07:53 09 Feb 05

can you shut down from the task manager (cntrl, alt, delete)?

march 08:00 09 Feb 05

hiya end

scanner has been on since first setup,

used it about a couple of hours before the shutdown problem happened & all was ok with it, just tried to use scanner a few minutes ago to see if I could sort the problem out from there & it seems I have no scanner installed, how that works out I dont know!

Pumbah 08:22 09 Feb 05

Can you uninstall the scanner and see if computer shuts down correctly - then reinstall and get an updated driver for the scanner from the manufacturers website..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…