Computer rebuild, any issues?

t.long 23:16 07 Mar 05

Sorry for the vaguness of the title but here goes,

Basicly I am rebuilding my computer, I am replacing the motherboard, and the 2x IDE HDD with 2x SATA disks, the rest - RAM, DVD, CDRW, VGA card, CPU et al is staying the same.

I have transfered the files I want to keep to the current 'D' drive, a tiny 8GB IDE drive [no Windows installed]. I want to set up one SATA drive [a 74GB Raptor] as drive 'C', and the second [a 200GB Western Digital Caveiar] as a 'D' drive'. I intend to put the 8GB IDE disk in as an 'E' drive transfer the files then remove it. Will this work? Any likly issues, I can not see a problem but then again...

JonnyTub 23:18 07 Mar 05

just one and you've probably already thought of it, is you memory going to be compatible with the new mobo ?

Noelg23 23:19 07 Mar 05

well I cant see any probs...but since the first 2 drives will be SATA and the small one is IDE...not sure if that would cause a problem...but however mate your on the right track and I would stick with it...good luck and let us know how it goes...

LastChip 23:20 07 Mar 05

What operating system are you using?

If it's XP, you will want the SATA drivers on a floppy during installation.

Presumably, your present CPU etc, is compatible with the new motherboard?

t.long 23:26 07 Mar 05

Basicly I am moving from an Abit IS7 E2 to an ASSUS P4P800-E Deluxe so the memory will be compatible, it should be sligtly better since the latter board uses a duel memory controller,not sure how much difference it will make in real terms mind...

My fear is that Windows will want to install to the IDE drive, but I guess if that happens I can always take it [the IDE] out and then put it in once Windows is installed on the Raptor.

Now its just a case of finding time, about 5 hours on a train tomorrow, so will probably have to wait till Wednesday.

Also whilst I think of it, I seem to recall SATA drives do not need jumpers, they will be on different channels anyway but just to check. The back does seem to have a jumper but no diagram, and their OEM so no manual.

t.long 23:26 07 Mar 05

Basicly I am moving from an Abit IS7 E2 to an ASSUS P4P800-E Deluxe so the memory will be compatible, it should be sligtly better since the latter board uses a duel memory controller,not sure how much difference it will make in real terms mind...

My fear is that Windows will want to install to the IDE drive, but I guess if that happens I can always take it [the IDE] out and then put it in once Windows is installed on the Raptor.

Now its just a case of finding time, about 5 hours on a train tomorrow, so will probably have to wait till Wednesday.

Also whilst I think of it, I seem to recall SATA drives do not need jumpers, they will be on different channels anyway but just to check. The back does seem to have a jumper but no diagram, and their OEM so no manual.

t.long 23:27 07 Mar 05

Upps doublt post, sorry.

woodchip 23:40 07 Mar 05

Yes, but Programs will not work nor will a Operating system, you need to load Windows fresh on the C:\Drive along with all the Hardware Drivers, then load Programs

t.long 21:20 08 Mar 05

bump

t.long 21:56 09 Mar 05

bump please

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…