Computer reboots spontaneously during use

newton_rover 00:25 30 Apr 04

After being in use for say an hour or my computer reboots itself for no apparent reason but then cannot find any device (HDD and CDROM) on the primary ide channel. The single device (CDRW) on the secondary channel is always found correctly. Many attempts to switch off then back on again fail to get it to find anything on the primary channel so I cannot use the computer. I have left the computer unplugged overnight then the next day it booted up correctly although it said my hard disk had changed and suggested entering set-up etc. or press F1 to continue which worked. If I leave the machine off for some hours it might start normally but more often than not it cannot find the HDD and CDROM (but always finds the CDRW). I have made sure that all cables and plugs are secure. Any help please?

johnnyrocker 00:33 30 Apr 04

a comprehensive explanation of your problem but not a clue as to your os and any programs loaded or when the system last worked ok and what you have downloaded etc prior to the problem.

johnny

newton_rover 06:40 30 Apr 04

I am using Win XP Pro and nothing downloaded other than the regular updates for Norton Systemworks 2003. I have noticed however that over a few days the machine had got noticably slower before the problem. As I have been mostly using another machine the only prog I have been running is Microsoft Outlook 2000. I have been careful to delete without opening any suspicious emails which seem to come in regularly nowadays. This morning I tried to start up but all I can see after Memory Testing etc. is
Verifying DMI Pool Data....
Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:
Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter

newton_rover 07:23 30 Apr 04

Whilst waiting for a cup of tea I disconected everything, took the side off the computer and pressed all leads and cards into their slots to make sure that they are firm. I joined everything up again and the machine booted up! There was a message about the hard disk and it went automatically into CHKDSK. During this operation it deleted two index entries and after completing CHKDSK rebooted as normal but how long it will stay working is the problem. Looking at System Restore there is nothing added from well before the problem only a couple of programmes deleted through 'Add & Remove Programmes'. Just in case it helps I tried to restore the machine to a point well before the problem but during the "restoring files" screen, and only a couple of minutes into the operation, the machine rebooted again and of course without restoring! Fortunately at this reboot it recognised the hard disk etc. and is now sitting there as normal, but for how long before it decides to reboot again and not recognise the drives?

newton_rover 08:38 09 May 04

Machine is still working properly after continuous use so perhaps the CHKDSK deleting of two index files entries did the trick?

jimmer409® 09:01 09 May 04

Had almost the same problem some time ago, solved by completely unpluging and reconecting drive connections, turned out to be the c drive ide cable not making proper contact, no problems since.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…