computer reboots accessing mapped network drive

seipeth 10:50 02 Aug 04

Hello,

I have 2 computers both running Win2K SP4 and critical Windows Updates applied.

I have shared 'My Documents' on one machine (server) and can access it from the second machine (client).
Whenever I save a file from the client to the shared folder on the server then the client immediately reboots. Doesn't happen every time (around half the time everything works OK), and other computers (with exactly the same OS setup as above) can access/save files to the shared folder on the server without any problems.

Any ideas anyone please,
Thx in advance,
Peter

Chegs ® 11:52 02 Aug 04

Its just a guess,but does this PC have "autodetect" setting for IP address? It might be the IP addy is the same as the server and crashing the OS instead of alerting you.Have a look for an updated NIC driver.Manual cfg of LAN settings instead of autodetect.

seipeth 12:17 02 Aug 04

Chegs,

Thanks for your thoughts. Both machines are already manually configured for IP. Lots of network traffic from/to these machines and many others in the LAN/WAN with no problems. Reboot of the client ONLY occurs when saving a file from this client to the server.

Peter

Chegs ® 12:40 02 Aug 04

click here

My brain started hurting reading this,but it might give you a couple of pointers to check. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…