computer rebooting

nogga 18:59 22 Nov 04

Sunday I was getting my mail in, in Incredimail and it suddenly rebooted. I reied again and the same happened. It ran a scan and said something about a unrecoverable file in incredimail. After the next reboot, things seemed to settle down, today the same thing happend whilst in incredimail and the scan said something like first allocation is not valid. The e, and lots of other letters, will be truncated. Ive gone back to a restrore point i madde this evening, it would not rstore from earlier points and so far in IE it is ok. it did reboot in IE earlier though. Any ideas out there. ?

VoG II 19:02 22 Nov 04

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery click Settings. Under System Failure untick the box in front of Automatically restart.

The next time it shoould display an error on a blue screen instead of rebooting. Post the error message here.

nogga 19:19 23 Nov 04

Thanks VoG
I did what you suggested and got the blue screen, it mentioned drivers which reminded me that I had downloaded NVidia drivers for my graphics card which were not digitally signedby M/soft. I did get a warning about them possible making the system unstable. Anyway, Ive rolled back to the previous drivers and it seems to have done the trick.

nogga 19:10 25 Nov 04

I rolled back to the previous driver and thought it was going to be ok, but last night, I got the blue screen again, I was in Incredimail when it happened, as I was the first time, but I reinstalled that thinking it might be something in that causing it. It says a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The problem is in XP, on a duel boot system, I am using 98SE now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…