Computer randomly freezing

Josquius 20:26 09 Aug 05

In the past month my computer has started randomly freezing for no apparent reason.
This usually comes with sudden movements when using the internet though seems to happen with sudden movements elsewhere (or just randomly).
I have tried reformatting my hardrive, installing windows on my other hard drive and checking all the wires inside the computer though after formatting problems still persist and no wires were loose.
Any ideas what on earth this could be?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:36 09 Aug 05

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Josquius 20:42 09 Aug 05

I don't think its drivers due to the mentioned format and that I hadn't updated any drivers to make it start.
I don't think its virusses either, I have formatted one disk and virus checked the lot.
Power surges...Would a surge protector stop this happening? Unsure if that could be anything to do with it.
What is PSU voltages?
Heat...I think it has happened right after start up.

On the memory- I can not get that checker to work (I use windows xp) is there anything similar made for windows?

Josquius 20:44 09 Aug 05

Oh something I forgot to mention-
Often the mouse still moves on the screen when moved however the keyboard does nothing (even turning on and off caps lock).
The computer speaker often starts beeping non stop too.

Josquius 14:37 10 Aug 05

This is starting to get increasingly random. Sometimes it can go for days without it but for 20 minutes this morning it just kept doing it...

Completealias 14:51 10 Aug 05

Are you talking about the internal speaker in the tower? If so this non stop beeping is a warning if its happening in windows while you are running I would think that its warning you of a heat problem.

But then you say it will go for days without any problems, could you run the pc with the case open and check that all the fans are running ok?

Josquius 16:55 10 Aug 05

I can still hear the fan going...

Also another problem- when using media player my sound just randomly cuts out and does not start again until I restart the computer. Could this be related?

Heat huh... How would you go about replacing a bad fan if that is the problem?

ACOLYTE 17:03 10 Aug 05

Try reinstalling the sound drivers,or maybe removing them all together and see if it stops freezing.
You could also check what running in the background in msconfig something there might be disagreeing with the PC.
To test the heat theory leave the side off the pc
a while see if that helps,make sure the fans are working and not blocked,and if you have taken them off to clean make sure you put them back the right way round.

Josquius 11:52 11 Aug 05

Actually I don't think its the heat. It seems like its the opposite of over heating, it mostly happens when I first turn on my computer- it takes a few resets before the computer stabilises and I can use it to some degree.
Could it be a faulty modem? This mostly happens when I am activly using the internet (though not exclusivly so)

Completealias 07:48 12 Aug 05

Does it fail to boot the first few times or will it boot into windows and be unstable?

zarobian 11:45 12 Aug 05

I think the problem is with the Memory as suggested by Fruit Bat /\0/\. Get it checked.

Download the Memtest86 and save it to a floppy disk. Then do a cold start with floppy in the drive.(Boot it from the created floppy).

Goodluck.

Z

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…