Computer Purchase

tooter 21:55 04 Jul 04

I need to purchase a new computer (old one died yesterday) and would like the benefit of your expert advice of were and what one to buy, I do not want to play games and it must be good quality. I need to know your suggestions on speed, memory and cards, etc. because I do not want to pay for stuff that I will not use, also hardware i.e. DVD rewriter or CD rewriter and any other hardware that I may need etc, I do not need a monitor because the old one is working well, (I tested it on another system) I will need a Zip drive as most of my stuff is saved on them, but most importantly a reliable supplier to purchase it from I am looking to spend around £750. Thanks for any suggestions.

Totally-braindead 22:05 04 Jul 04

Since you seem to have a good idea of what you want and know best yourself what you are going to use it for why not look at click here and build a custom PC. I think you should get at least a 120 gig hard drive and at least 512mb ram but at the price you are looking at and considering you don't need a monitor you could get a mega PC. Buy good branded components.

keith-236785 23:57 04 Jul 04

im not normally a person who promotes big companies but click here and check out what they have to offer. only thing missing was the Zip Drive, but im sure a phone call could sort that out.

click here

click here

are two others i have bought from who build systems to order

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:46 05 Jul 04

PCWorld, £600 will sort you out with an excellent computer and 15"TFT (Emachine/Compaq/Advent). You may have to buy a zip drive as an add-on (£80).

G

-Beb- 02:10 05 Jul 04

Hmmm. PC World, excellent and PC World computers, all in one sentance, first time I've ever heard that in this forum. Nevermind...

The 15" monitor will probably be of a low quality, furthermore the monitor is unnecessary, so it is adding an extra (pointless) cost onto the machine.

I agree with Totally-brainded regarding purchasing from click here , especially since their customer services are excellent

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:22 05 Jul 04

I am afraid you do not know what you are talking about...PCWorld do not make computers and you have obviously never seen the TFTs that they sell (which they don't make)/eyes raise. compaq is such an unknown make /eyes raise

Forgive -Beb-'s ignorance, try PCW, the computers are ready to take away and an Emachine will do the job admirably.

G

Buachail Mór 07:59 05 Jul 04

Apart from the gratuitous discourtesy, I agree with Gandalf. PCW will have a machine to meet your needs; you may however find upgrade potential is very limited on many of the machines there.

Contacting Mesh, Evesham or any of the manufacturers in the charts above will get you what you want - you simply have to explain your needs and they will put it together for you.

Andsome 08:20 05 Jul 04

Find a recommended small private local concern and discuss your requirements with them. You will then get EXACTLY what you want, without paying for SO CALLED free extras. No waiting around for ages on premium rate helplines. Go for it, I and many others have.

Bebee 10:37 05 Jul 04

Has the Zip died with your old PC? I transferred my zip drive and CD drives when I upgraded. If there is nothing wrong with the drive you could add it in to whatever package you buy.

ianeon 10:43 05 Jul 04

Why not have a look at click here they are quite good and their aftersales services is good.

TomJerry 10:46 05 Jul 04

he is normally right for value for money stuff.

With £750 in mind, I would definitely get a LCD monitor. If you really love your old monitor, do not speed more than £400 on base unit.

For me, DIY always.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac