computer powers down after 10mins

kev.c 09:06 08 Aug 12

am trying to sort this annoying pc out! i have taken out the h/d to see if it was a windows fault-still no joy.powers down after 10-15mins...boot up again and it powers down even quicker...cpu overheat or psu prob? mem is ddr3 2gb 1 stick so i cannot test if that is faulty by removing one..whats my next step please...thanks in advance

birdface 09:27 08 Aug 12

Check air vents for dust and fluff.If any found inside will also need cleaning.Especially around the fans and make sure the heatsink on the CPU is also clean.

birdface 09:33 08 Aug 12

As you already have another post open with the same subject either close this one or close the other one.

Have you tried taking the memory out then putting it back and make sure it is properly seated.

other thread.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4160544/computer-crashes-on-boot-up/

sthelli 20:11 14 Aug 12

If your computer shuts down after 10-15 minutes it's because your CPU is over heating badly. I suggest purchasing a new CPU with a heat fan and then clean out the air vents.

wiz-king 05:20 15 Aug 12

Old HP pavilions are prone to this problem, it could be a power supply fault. I had several that did this and the time got shorter and shorter until they could not even finish booting into windows.

Check your temperatures and clean the fan as other posters have suggested but bare this in mind.

sharpamat 08:13 15 Aug 12

( i doubt the cpu is at fault otherwise it wouldnt boot and stay booted-powersupply poss? )

Your statement from your other post is clearly incorrect, your system boots then crashes.

This may well be caused by what is shown in the video, with all components placed in Carpets, increasing both dust and static.

I would suggest as others have done already check the heatsink on the CPU if this is full of muck it will cause the problems you are having. If this is blocked it will overheat the CPU which in turn will lead initally to a shutdown to avoid damage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac